Saturday, February 5, 2011

2.5.11

ROSS:
Mom's weekend physical therapist noticed some great improvements from this week compared to last. Which was great to hear considering she still has not been eating well. She might have had around 5 bites of food today. Her lack of eating is due to several things: lack of appetite, nausea, indigestion, and also, a sore throat. She believes this is a result of all the pills she has to swallow. I was really worried that she was getting a cold, but her symptoms seem to be getting better, and she is most likely not getting a cold. That being said, I really want to stress that all visitors pump some hand sanitizer on their hands before they touch mom (we've got some in the room)! I had to spend three days away from Kline Galland so I could get over a cold. It was really really hard to do. I really wanted to be there. I thought I could come and just put on a mask and sit in the corner, but mom wouldn't let me. She is the wiser of us. Now that I am feeling better, I am really glad that I wasn't here. I'm glad that I didn't compromise her health in anyway. It's a hard lesson to learn that sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to be away from them.

We said goodbye to Aynsley tonight, which is always really hard. She is such a strong force and advocate for mom, and she runs a real tight ship (which is truly needed in this situation)! But Aynsley would not be Aynsley if it weren't for the life she leads in New York. People there need her, and we need her there too, so that when she returns, she can come refreshed and focused on being here for mom, and for all of us. Like I said, these are hard lessons to learn...

My main goal for tomorrow is to see her eating and drinking more. Please direct your thoughts and energy towards getting her appetite up. If anyone has some delicious food stories they would like to share (imagery, flavors, the best thing you ever cooked, any story revolving around food...), please feel free to share them here. Try to make her mouth water! I'll read her your stories and hopefully we can get her really excited about food. Let's get that appetite going!

4 comments:

  1. Talking about food: that shouldn't be a problem!
    I'm thinking fruit smoothies to start. They're easy on the throat, healthy and you can throw some protein powder in for good measure. (I'm having one now with yogurt, o.j., banana and blueberries! it's yummy)
    Last night I cooked for a dinner party at a friend's house. They wanted Mexican so I made an unusual dish: enchilada casserole with spinach, mushrooms and leeks. It was saucy, a bit cheesy and oh so delicious. The main spice was cumin.
    The recipe is one of many great ones from "The New Not Strictly Vegetarian Cookbook."
    Another favorite crowd please is from Rachael Ray's cookbook, "Just in time." It's Chicken Schwarma! marinate chicken in yummy Mediterranean spices, cumin, curry, cardamon, chili powder, coriander, garlic and freshly squeezed lemon juice.you can either grill or bake the chicken. (it's very juicy when baked.) then, grill some red and yellow peppers and red onions. Spread some humus in a pita pocket add the chicken and veggies and be amazed! oh, and don't forget the tzaziki! (the computer doesn't know what tzaziki is. they think maybe I mean Thorazine! but don't add that!)
    So? How did I do? Is your mouth watering yet? I hope so!
    happy eating, Flynne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Flynne,

    Remember our wonderful Thanksgiving dinners together; in particular - the baked yams with the buttery streusel topping made of crushed ginger snaps, almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Of course you can't forget the homemade cranberry sauce and the chestnut stuffing. And we ended it with the Kirshenbaum family favorite - chocolate angel pie with the light as air meringue crust filled with a rich chocolate mousse and topped with fresh whipped cream. I know I switched it up last year with the chocolate cheesecake with a chocolate cookie crust. Thankfully, you liked that too.

    Please eat more so that we can all be sitting around our table next Thanksgiving. I promise to go back to the chocolate angel pie!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy all this food makin me hungry. If all else fails, how bout some hometown cookin? a fresh-made-to-order double cheeseburger & cold rootbeer at Lou's or a fully-dressed Avanti's gondola & homemade lasagna or some of them ribs at Grandpa John's (Big John's grandson) or a thick 22oz NY strip or double lobster tails at Jim's. Be sure to cap it off with the Deluxe hot-fudge banana split at Emo's. Happy eating, keep your strength up and continue to be you. GO PACKERS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI,EVERYBODY,
    HAVING A BIT OF ROLL REVERSAL HERE? SEEMS THAT I REMEMBER ROSS HAD A VERY LIMITED PALET WHEN YOU ALL VISITED ME IN FRIDAY HARBOR....HOT DOGS, PEANUT BUTTER AND MILK, EVERY TIME HE TASTED A NEW FOOD WE APPLAUDED HIM. HE WAS SO PROUD OF HIMSELF. IT WAS VERY FUNNY. YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE THERE IS SO MUCH FRESH FRUIT AND VEGGIES MOST OF THE YEAR. THER IS GREAT DELIGHT AND COMFORT IN EATING A SIMPLE FRESHLY BAKED SWEET POTATO SERVED WITH BUTTER, A LITTLE CINNAMON AND BROWN SUGAR...YUMMY.
    READING JODI'S BLOG TODAY IS VERY TOUCHING...YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY FRANTIC PHONE CALLS THERE HAVE BEEN OVER THE PAST MANY YEARS ...HOW DO I MAKE SOMETHING WITH THIS SPECIFIC INGREDIENT? ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SOME NEW MENUES? HOW DO I MAKE ? JODI AND I HAVE COME A LONG WAY FROM OUR MUSHROOM PROBLEM...3SLICES MAKING 4 PIECES
    RATHER THAN THE 2 SLICES MAKING THE REQUESTED 3 PIECES. JODI HAS BECOME A WONDERFUL COOK AND I'M SO PROUD OF HER.
    FLYNNE,HONEY, I NEVER THOUGHT THAT I WOULD EVER SAY THIS TO YOU[OR ANYONE], BUT "PLEASE SMOKE SOME MORE POT AND HAVE A NOSH"
    LOTS OF LOVE,HUGS
    AS ALWAYS
    JANET

    ReplyDelete