Friday, January 14, 2011

1.14.11

AYNSLEY:
I found out that Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 6pm on the day before the winter solstice. Though I tried not to drive myself crazy, I spent the shortest day of the year googling breast cancer and was relieved to find that 90% of people diagnosed with breast cancer are alive 5 years after their initial diagnosis. The day after the solstice, we found out how bad her cancer was. How fast the tumors had invaded her lymphatic system, how far they had spread, how much damage they caused. The entire northern hemisphere was feeling the feeling the limits of daylight and for my family, it was truly the darkest day of the year. I ran as fast as I could to Seattle (which, on December 23rd, is not that fast).

The days are noticeably longer now. Leaving work tonight, I saw the remnants of the sunset, whereas last week it was dark. We are closer to spring, to renewal, to light. To mom's birthday and to Imbolc, which are almost the same day, the halfway point between winter solstice and the first day of spring. Forgive the hippie digression; I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it makes perfect sense to me. Imbolc is the first of February, when it is usually bitterly cold, when I am going stir crazy in the rain in Seattle or the snow in NY. It is also the time of year that the first crocuses break out from the frozen ground. Those first sprouts look so fragile, but they are mighty. They are determined to fight the freeze, to grow up towards the light. This is my mom. She's an Imbolc baby: born January 30th, beautiful and delicate looking, but fiercely fighting for her patch of sunlight. I never knew the extent of her power until now, but she's as determined as the first flowers of February to live and thrive.

Today was another perfect example of her iron will. She is so determined not to have a feeding tube that she ATE. She complained of painful indigestion, but still she ate almost an entire grilled cheese sandwich, some katie shake, the strudel drink she likes and more delectable food from the same marvelous cook who brought the chicken and potatoes she loved a couple of days ago. Another dear friend is working on solutions to the stomach upset so hopefully she'll be able to eat that much (or more!) without the discomfort. She also had a shower today-an occupational therapist helped her, but did not do as good of a job as me (my assessment, not Mom's). She said it felt great to get clean, but that there weren't enough warm blankets and the water wasn't warm enough. Clearly, the OT didn't need to have 27 towels; she wasn't planning to flood the bathroom like I do. She probably also didn't get in with Mom, which is the best way to soak through your clothes, but also to tell if the water temperature is okay. Hopefully Mom can hold off for a week until I get there to do the next one. My showers may be way messier, but I love them.

Radiation required more mapping today, so it was longer and uncomfortable. But she has a break for the weekend-the only procedure she has scheduled for Saturday and Sunday is physical therapy, which is so so good for her. She says it's really hard, but she always seems stronger, more alert and hungrier after PT, so I'm really glad it's back on the daily schedule.

We're all hoping for an easy weekend, that she gets some much needed rest and can eat more comfortably. She still has an uphill battle before breaking through the frozen ground.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Flynne and Family,
    Aynsleys second paragraph in last nights blog, so true and eloquently written. We all know and see the extent of your power! We stand in awe of it.
    Heres hoping for a restful and comfortable weekend.

    Love you,
    Donna Fishman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aynsley:

    Sorry I haven't written for a couple of days - have been preoccupied - however, it doesn't mean I haven't thought about you all every day - nearly every moment.

    I love what you wrote today. Knowing your Mom, it was absolutely right on the mark. She is such a fighter - and we all know she is staying focused on her success. There are definitely brighter days to come - we have no doubt!!

    Nancy and I are in Florida for Steve Brown's daughter's wedding (I think your Mom would remember Steve - he was my roommate for two years in college). In any event, this wedding weekend has made us think of YOU and the fact that you have so much to look forward to - we see all good things coming! As an aside, our youngest daughter, Jessica (whose Bat Mitzvah your Mom attended in Dallas) is in New York this weekend visiting friends and freezing her touchas off!

    Please give our best to all the family - and give my friend another kiss for me. We all hope the weekend is full of rest, comfort and positive feelings.

    Love, Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aynsley,
    I love your "digression" around Winter Solstice and the first day of Spring. This morning, prior to reading your blog, while taking the dogs for a walk, I noticed one lone pink rose blossom that had made it through the recent freeze we've had in Dallas. That is your mom, determined and focused on showing her beauty in spite of the elements trying to control her. She WILL grow up towards the light.

    Mark's comments around his youngest daughter's Bat Mitzvah in Dallas remind me of Flynne and Marci staying with me and all of the ridiculous laughs we had. I have 2 magnets on my refrigerator--one of the 3 of us giving Mark a big kiss (lucky guy!), and the other of your mom, Marci and I posed as Charlie's Angels. That is the image I hold in my heart!

    May this weekend be a time of re-energizing, EATING delicious food, and PT that I know is so hard, but as you said, so good for her.

    Love & kisses,
    Kimbo xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aynsley,
    I appreciate your hippie digressions! it makes perfect sense to me, too. and may I say, beautifully written. may your mom continue to find the strength to fight towards her recovery. All of my being hopes for as much and more.
    much love and wishes for a restorative weekend for you all.
    Hugs,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI,EVERYBODY!
    AYNSLEY,HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF WRITING AS ANOTHER PROFESSION...YOU ARE INCREDIBLE! WE ARE SO FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO FEEL THE STRENGTH OF YOUR MOM AND FAMILY THRU YOUR WORDS.YOU CERTAINLY KNOW THE ESSENCE OF YOUR MOM...IT HAS TAKEN ALOT OF SHARED FAMILY TIME ALONG WITH YOUR SENSITIVITIES AND LOVE TO HAVE THIS GIFT.
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US....WE IN TURN SEND OUR WISHES AND LOVE FOR A REVITALIZING WEEKEND TO FACE A NEW WEEK WITH RENEWED VIGOR FOR YOUR MOM. SHE IS AN INSPIRATION!!

    DEAR KIMBO, FLYNNE, POLO,DONNA AND MY DARLING DAUGHTER, MARCI,
    WHAT A SPECIAL JOY IN MY LIFE TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALL STILL HANGING TOGETHER.YOU MUST KNOW THIS IS A GIFT FOR EACH OF YOU.
    YOU WERE ALL GREAT KIDS AND HAVE BECOME STRONG,PRODUCTIVE,LOVING, ADULTS...BE VERY PROUD
    I ALSO HAVE FOND MEMORIES OF YOUR EARLY YEARS...BACK TO 1ST BIRTHDAYS, STUDY GROUPS,AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES. SOME VERY RECENT ONES TOO OF YOUR FUN GET TOGETHERS. LOTS OF HATS..
    HUG EACH OTHER OFTEN AS YOU CAN.
    WITH LOTS OF LOVE
    AS ALWAYS
    ME

    ReplyDelete