Monday, January 17, 2011

1.17.11

ROSS:
Uncle David bought my mom a boom box for the room so that she can listen to CDs, MP3s, and the radio. Mom expressed interest in listening to the radio quietly in the mornings when she wakes up before my dad. That way she can listen while he sleeps in. So last night, before I left, I put the boom box next to her bed and taught her how to feel for the "on" switch so she can turn it on when she wakes up. Well, dad was not happy with me last night. Turns out, my mom has no concept of what time it is when she wakes up, and has no real way of figuring it out. So, she turned on the radio for her morning listen at 1:15 am. It also wasn't as quiet as my dad would have liked it, in fact, I don't think it was quiet at all. He woke up and walked over to my mom's bed, "What are you doing?" he asked. "Oh, I'm just listening to the radio.." she replied casually. "I know, but it's 1 in the morning." At 3:30am, her IV ran out and started beeping loudly. My dad turned it off, but 5 minutes later is starting going off again. Dad had to run down the hall looking for a nurse to turn the machine off. 90 minutes later, nurses came into the room to check mom's vitals and then two hours later, a dear friend showed up with a latte for dad. Needless to say, they did not get much sleep last night. My dad was not happy with me teaching her how to turn on her radio. He also wasn't happy with his brother for buying it for her. But he said, "I guess now we're even for when I bought his son a miniatured drum set when he was 4..."

Other than not too much sleep, mom had a good day today. She ate salad for the first time since she got to the hospital. Spinach and goat cheese, mmmm. Mom had radiation today which went well, she says. It zonked her out during the afternoon, but she still got to take visitors, and it doesn't seem to be upsetting her stomach or swallowing. For physical therapy, with a walker, mom walked out of her room and over half way down the hospital hallway. I was not at the hospital for that, but when I got there, a nurse came up to me and said, "it's so good to see your mom out and walking!

Sorry this is not a very long update, but I have a lot of studying I need to get to. Mom is still eating well, pushing herself physically and having better luck taking all of her pills (the worst part of the day). Another good day at the hospital! Thank you for all your comments!

6 comments:

  1. I hope that was a double or even triple latte. Sounds like Bob could have used it!
    so glad to hear that Flynn continues to get stronger. and to eat well. and that she's not feeling so icky after radiation. and that the pills are going down easier. What a trooper.
    hope it's another good day and that everyone gets more rest tonight!
    hugs,
    jodi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,
    Loved your funny description of the night from you know where. I'm sure it wasn't so humorous at the time, but thanks for making us feel like we were there witnessing the whole thing. So glad yesterday was another good day for you, Flynne.

    Love, Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad yesterday was a good day - and disappointed to hear the night was not as much fun......BUT, I would have loved to see the look on Bob's face when Flynne turned the music on at 1:00 AM!! Funny to me - not so funny to Bob......

    LOVE that Flynne's appetite is a little better. All the good things are positive and nice to hear.

    Love to you all and I hope today is another good one - and that the night is better for all.

    Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flynne just needed her NPR fix! Sounds like a wild night.

    Hears to a quiet and restful day and night!

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. you need to buy headset!

    love
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROSS,
    I REALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD WHEN I READ ABOUT YOUR MOM AND DAD'S NIGHT.SOUNDS LIKE A TV SIT-COM.
    FLYNNE,
    HONEY, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK....HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR STEADY APPETITE AND YOUR WALK DOWN THE HALL !! FOR BOB'S SAKE GET MORE SLEEP AT NIGHT.
    THINKING OF YOU.
    LOVE AND HUGS
    AS ALWAYS
    JANET

    ReplyDelete