Sunday, April 17, 2011

4.17.11

AYNSLEY:
It is an infection. I'm not sure what kind, where it started and how difficult it will be to treat. We're not sure how it will affect chemotherapy, which is scheduled to start again on Wednesday. I think we're planning to begin antibiotics tomorrow, but again, I'm not sure. I should be able to have more detailed information from the trenches, so to speak, and hope to be able to provide everyone with more specific details tomorrow and throughout the week.

I am hoping to arrive tomorrow morning. My flight was oversold, so I canceled my original booking and re-booked a first class ticket (there goes the tax refund) in hopes that would guarantee me a spot. Fingers crossed.

By all accounts, today was a good day. Mom ate well and was in good spirits. Gary noticed that weekends tend to be better than week days and he hypothesized that Mom really gets energy from her visitors. She has visitors on weekdays, too, but definitely more people swing by on weekends and it's spaced throughout the day. Or maybe weekends are just a more relaxed pace and she senses that in her environment. In any case, I'm so glad that this weekend was good for her and she felt strong, energetic and hungry.

In honor of things Mom and I love to share, I have a treat: Mom has been in book clubs on and off and quite a few years ago, she read Tender At The Bone, Ruth Reichl's first memoir. She enjoyed it thoroughly and recommended it to me; WOW. Ruth Reichl is amazing and her books are easily in my top 10 all time favorites. Her memoirs are divided into chapters and each one ends with a recipe. SO, to celebrate Passover beginning tomorrow, here is
Ruth Reichl's recipe for Matzo Brie.


From Garlic & Sapphires (which is awesome!)

2 matzos
2 eggs
salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Set a colander inside a bowl (to catch the crumbs) and break the matzos into little pieces, dropping them into the colander. Remove the colander from the bowl and hold it beneath running water until the matzos are damp. Allow them to drain; then put the damp matzos into a bowl. Break the eggs into the bowl and stir with a fork until just mixed. Add salt to taste. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, add the matzo-egg mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the egg is cooked and there are a few crispy little bits. Put on a plate and serve at once.

Serves 2

Enjoy!

Enjoying is the most important part. That's a lot of butter-relish it and chew well!

No comments:

Post a Comment