Wednesday, July 6, 2011

7.6.11

AYNSLEY:
Mom is doing amazing. Her day was much less hectic today, so she was able to get in a LONG PT session which included walking (almost running, really, at this point she treks so quickly), riding the recumbent bike and lots of stretching. This isn't ordinary stretching, it's assisted by the aide and is very specific and fairly intense. Good good stuff.

Mom hasn't run a fever or felt feverish since Overlake; the antibiotics are being well tolerated and she's feeling well. She has a good appetite and enjoyed a leftover July 4th BBQ drumstick for lunch today as well as all the regular meals and snacks.

I often feel like I'm interviewing Mom about her health when we speak on the phone. I always want to know the nitty gritty, which sometimes she doesn't offer, so I ask a lot of probing questions and am probably super annoying about it. Tonight, after all my questions, I remembered Bruce Feiler's rules and just told some stories. I rarely have good gossip, but I usually have ridiculous things to share from my day, which I feel lightens the mood and makes it more enjoyable for Mom to talk to me.

It's amazing what the past week has brought. It's been such a roller coaster. Today I see it as a microcosm of life and of that fundamental truth: this too shall pass. Nothing is permanent. Not the good days, not the bad days, not the infections, not radiant health. I hold this when I'm still pregnancy sick and I hold it when I'm feeling amazing. A reminder to be here now. Just sit with it, whatever it is. It will pass and it will be gone forever, for better or for worse. Cherish the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment